Parking, spectators, forecast, photos etc.
Address for trailer parking: Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon OX10 8EB (this is for the campsite but the postcode should get you close enough with SAT NAV)
Boating is from the East bank of the River Thames next to the Riverside CarPark, which serves as the trailer park and offers toilets and refreshments.
- Trailers should access the trailer park from the A4074/A4130 roundabout through Crowmarsh Gifford along The Street on to Stephen’s Field. Access is not possible coming from Wallingford town centre
- The trailer park will open at 06.30 and close at 16.30. There is no access the day before.
- The trailer park is only for use by trailers as space is restricted
- Boat rigging is done in the field through the other side of the road bridge
- The car park is not suitable for longer boat trailers
Competitor and spectator parking
- There will be 2 free car parks available for competitors and spectators to use on the day.
- These will open at 06.30 and close at 16.30 promptly.
- There will be limited provision for blue badge holders in the trailer park.
- Accessibility: the footpaths from the car parks to the river are flat, gravel, grass and wood-chip or the alternative is to use the road.
Car Park 1 – Howbery Business Park – approx. 1.2km / 10-12 mins walk to river
Postcode/Sat Nav Ref: OX10 8BA, Howbery Park, Benson Lane, Wallingford, Oxon.
Please only park on the gravel car park area as directed by car park marshals.
Car Park 2 – Centre for Ecology & Hydrology – approx. 1km / 5-6mins walk to the river
Postcode/Sat Nav Ref: OX10 8BB, Maclean Building, Benson Lane, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxfordshire
Please only park in allocated parking spaces or to spaces where the car park marshals have directed you to.
As a courtesy to local residents and other town users, competitors and spectators are requested NOT to park in
- residential areas and side roads in Crowmarsh Gifford
- in town car parks or on grass verges
- on the bypass bridge or the grass verges along the bypass verge
- Hot drinks and food are available under the Wallingford Bridge arches (Crowmarsh side) next to the trailer park. There are also toilet blocks there.
- The two racing divisions start from just upstream of the Moulsford Railway Bridge at 10.30 and 13.30. This is a considerable way from the allocated parking in Crowmarsh Gifford, so if you want to see the racing then please come prepared and bring suitable footwear and clothing. The ground may be muddy and slippery and the weather wintry.
- The best vantage point for spectators is on and around the New Bypass Bridge (what3words: ///emails.waddled.swoop) – there is no parking here so you will need to walk up from the dedicated parking areas which will take about 20-25 minutes.
For those that prefer to watch the action from the comfort of their own home, Wallingford Rowing Club stream footage of the Wallingford Head Race live on YouTube.