Details of the event and how to enter.
UPDATED FOR 2023
With the current river & ground conditions, and in the light of other events being cancelled, we are reviewing the current situation and looking at what decisions we can take to mitigate any costs should the event have to be cancelled. We have always maintained a position of offering a 100% refund in the event of cancellation and believe this is an important principle. This does however mean we have to be prudent in the way we manage finances, to ensure the future of the events are secure. With the loss of half of the 2022 Winter Head, we took a loss in 2022 and as such have to be ever more prudent in 2023 to manage a sustainable level of reserves.
With this in mind, we are taking the following actions:
- Whilst entries will open as normal, payments will not be enabled. We will notify you when payments are required.
- We will hold off finalising our supply base until Friday 17th November, this is the point at which we will begin to incur significant costs.
- We will continue to review the forecast, river, and more importantly ground conditions, over the next week, and look to make an initial go/no go decision on Friday 17th November.
- If ground conditions in the trailer park are not greatly improved by the 17th , experience across the events committee suggests it is highly unlikely to be manageable for the event.
- We will post an update here on the evening of the 17th at the latest.
Rachael will be overseas from 31st Oct – 11th Nov. PLEASE DO NOT CALL!! 4am phone calls will not be appreciated. Please use WhatsApp – NOT Email.
Be Aware!! SODC has installed barriers at the Riverside car park which will make access more challenging. Because of this trailers with eights which have not been split will not be able to gain access. Please contact Rachael Haycock if this will be a problem for your club.
Wallingford Head is held over two divisions at 10.30 and 14.00, with different events in each division. The results are pooled together to find the overall winner in each boat category.
Below is the revised and Final division allocation table:
|Division 1 10.30||Division 2 14:00|
|Eights||Open, J18, J15, WMas, WU23/WU20, WJ16||Mas, U23/U20, J16, WOpen, WJ18, WJ15|
|Coxed Fours||U23, J16, WOpen, WJ18||Open, J18, WU23, WJ16|
|Coxless Fours||U23, WOpen||Open, WU23|
Events will be run in Open and Women’s categories. There will be Senior, U23/U20, J18, J16 and Masters events; for Senior events, appropriate tiers will be assigned once the entry has been reviewed (we are not fans of this approach, but….). The U23/U20 8+ category will be run as one event, with awards for the fastest overall crew and the fastest U20; if your crew are eligible for U20, please add this to the entry notes on BROE2. Medals will be awarded to the fastest in each event/tier.
The Wallingford Head course is not easy to steer and inexperienced crews and coxes may find it too challenging. Please take this into account before deciding which crews to enter.
All crews must be below the start before each division can start. This will lead to some crews being on the water for 2-3 hours per division. Please ensure your crews can cope with this in any weather conditions; daytime temperatures in December can be near freezing.
Entries are limited to a total of 260. If we are oversubscribed, preference will be given to the first 130 paid entries received in each division.
- No sculling events or other boat classes will be offered.
- Medals will be awarded to the fastest overall Mas8+ and WMas8+ unless otherwise advised.
- No Composite entries will be accepted.
Entries open via British Rowing Online Entry (BROE) on Monday 13th November at 13:00 and close when the event is fully subscribed or Thursday 16th November at 18:00, at the latest.
- £140 per Eight
- £80 per Four
Contact – yours
Please ensure that your contact email address and especially your emergency contact mobile phone number registered on BROE2 are current, valid and useful.
Event information will be posted on this website at least 2 days before the event.
Contact – ours
If you need to contact us, please preferably use email
or telephone/text/WhatsApp Rachael Haycock 07769 299259 ( Rachael won’t reply to a call on her mobile during the day as she will be working
Rachael will be overseas from 11th – 19th Nov (when entries open and close). PLEASE DO NOT CALL!! 4am phone calls will not be appreciated. Please use WhatsApp- Email is not working.)
Full refund of entry fees will be made in the event of cancellation.
The Small Print!
- WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ANY ENTRY WITHOUT STATING A REASON.
- Wallingford Head is held under the BR rules of racing and will conform to the Rowsafe: Guide to Safe Practice in Rowing.
- Competitors will provide their own boats, oars and sculls, which must conform to current BR rules especially in respect of heel restraints and bowball security. All boats and equipment are brought to the regatta at the owner’s risk. All boats must display their 6 character identification code at all times
- The course is approximately 4000 metres.
- Each division will be limited to 130 crews. Our aim is to allow as many people to race as possible within the confines of the racing day and creating a safe manageable day.
- Crews shall boat from Riverside Meadows, Wallingford unless prior agreement is gained from the organizing committee; this includes crews boating from other local clubs on the reach. In the event of crews being allowed to boat from elsewhere, they may not be able to return until racing is complete and should be prepared to egress at Riverside Meadows.
- If the head is oversubscribed entries may be closed earlier.
- Doubling up and boat sharing is at your own risk.
- Clubs may alter the details of their entries at any time up to the close of entries.
- Crews that scratch after the close of entries will be liable for payment of their entry fees. In the event of postponement or cancellation of the Head a FULL REFUND of entry fees will be made.
- Please ensure that you include a contact name, address and telephone number so that we can contact you when entries close if necessary.
- Please note that this event, in common with all rowing events, may be photographed by amateurs or professionals who sell their photographs. By entering you recognise that you may be photographed in this way.